Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Introductions: Hi, I'm Karrick

Hi folks,

I'm Karrick, yes it is an Irish name, no, I'm not irish. My parents picked it out of a name book. If you met me in person you would forget my name, even though you would remember that is was somewhat interesting. But it doesn't matter what you call me... as long as you call me.

I am a light hearted and generally easy going person... as we all get to know each other, hopefully that will become apparent. I'm not a particularly holistic or religious person... but I try to live by a simple creed.

---Happiness is a choice you can make today and everyday---

It seems like most of us are pretty new to this blogging stuff, as well as am I, but if anyone needs help talking through anything don't hesitate to email me. Additionally, if you get a random email from me asking for help, feel free to be honest and don't hold back any punches.

The techinical stuff about me...

I hold a Bachelor of Environmental Design from the University of Colorado in Boulder. I was born and raised here in good ole Columbus pronounced 'com-blo-us' Ohio. A bad break up and a family illness brought me back from Colorado. A good job and meeting my wife got me to stay.

I've been working in the field of architecture for about 8 years. 6 years for Berardi + Partners Architects. Our bread and butter is Elderly and Assisted Living Facilities, but with the downtown luxury condo boom here in town our firm has gotten a fair share of that business which has been fun... and even though it might not display good design citizenship, I think it is still fairly good design.

I am very excited about this program even though it might seem like just another hoop to jump through, (and an expensive one at that), I have a whole s--t ton to learn, and it will be exciting and interesting to take part in academia now that I have a reasonable amount of applicable experience.

Happy New Year to all!!! And I look forward to seeing you all in Boston.

P.S. It seems as though there is a large contingent of Columbusites in the program this semester... Maybe we should arrange a get together here in town prior to our trip to Boston. Email any interest to me at karrick_1@yahoo.com. I'll set a tentative date for Wednesday Jan 10th at 6:30 at the new Bar Louie in the Arena District. There is no hockey that night and the space is actually pretty nice... even though it might not display good design citizenship! Sorry Herb, just yankin' your chain.

7 comments:

Carli Sekella said...

Hi Karrick!

I would be interested in meeting on Wednesday - and actually, other than school work, I am free every night except Thursday next week. I think its a great idea. I will keep checking back for updates.

rbutera said...

Ok, so now I am jealous. You guys will all get to meet up before we head to Boston! Very cool idea. I am actually only about an 1 1/2 hours North of Delaware and could be in Columbus in 2... maybe I'll try to drive down and pop in. If not, see you Boston!

~R

Joe said...

sounds like a great idea to meet up. i will try and keep the night free and stop by.

Unknown said...

I also like this idea and will try to arrange time to make it. I am in the neighborhood anyway. I work at URS on the corner of Neil and West Nationwide Blvd. See you all there.

Berardi + Partners - Architects and Engineers said...

Soudns like 6:30 on Wednesday works pretty well for everybody interested. There is an upstairs bar there. I'll be the guy with the pony tail.

Herb Childress said...

It seems like Wednesday afternoon works well. What you should do is go to the Blackboard theory course site, go to "Communications," and send an e-mail to all the students in the class -- I'm not sure that everyone will make it to this blog in time to see the invite.

I'd love to join you, but...

Kyle Basilius said...

should have followed Herb's advice! i def didnt see this blog, but Carli just sent me an email asking if I was going. I don't know if I will be able to make it but will try.