Wednesday, January 10, 2007

From Broad to Specific

IF... I were to choose the kind of architect that I will be, it would be an architect of specifics. I find that The Science of Shopping resonates so much more with me personally, not just because the reading is easy, and even entertaining, but because I am much more interested in a specific user, than a general populous, more of a psychologist than a sociologist. I find myself desperately trying to remember all the conversations I have had with my wife about things I would do differently in the design of a restaurant, or how I would dress a room in a friend’s house. These things I find so much more interesting, maybe because they seem like tangible things that I might actually be able to effect. It is a smaller bite to chew vs. the magnitude of changing the course of history through educating, not only clients, but clients that have a budget big enough to change a broad enough stroke of the built environment to theoretically change the way an entire community interacts with each other.

No comments: